Friday, 19 March 2010

LIGHTS

Is this video for serious?



Lights' video for "Fire Night" is my new thing today. Moving away from the woozy mysticism of their eponymous debut effort, the three-piece are now entering an unexpected disco phase. I like. Reminiscent of School of Seven Bells' female-fronted and ethereal sound, Lights also inject a fiercely pop sensibility into their songs. I mean, they use exaggerated fast breathing on 2008's "Break Run Fly", a la Destiny's Child's "Lose My Breath" and Britney's "I'm A Slave 4 U". For reals.

These girls don't care about cliches and whether or not they will be accused of using them. They just make the music they want to make. Plus they draw hearts on their faces and don't shy away from glitter, which is delicious.


Lights are:
Linnea Vedder Shults (drums, vox)
Sophia Knapp (guitar, vox)
Alana Amram (bass)
image courtesy of dragcity, vidio directed by lauryn siegel

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...