Sunday, 25 July 2010

Gold Panda

Admittedly, it's taken me a minute to jump on this train but I've just uncovered the sweetness that is Gold Panda. He was mentioned in BBC's Sound of 2010 longlist in December last year, but I (perhaps too hastily) navigated away from that when I saw Daisy Dares You and Marina & the Diamonds atop the list. Yawn.

However the one-man show behind Gold Panda (only known as Derwin) is one to take note of if you're a fan of Four Tet, Passion Pit and/or Aphex Twin. It's all about cut-and-paste sampling, and appreciating Gold Panda's ear for the best snippets to mould into a whole composition. My favourites are 'You' and 'Quitters Raga': they just ooze hazy, easy summer evenings. Listen below.

You by Gold Panda
Quitters Raga by Gold Panda

image courtesy of handsomeclothing

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...