Wednesday, 15 December 2010

Anna Calvi



My introduction to Anna Calvi came from a pretty weird medium, but still places her as my new thing to like today. She started following me on Twitter, and when I went to check out her music I was blown away by her the sheer power of her vocal. All those not in favour of a little bit of vibrato and a whole lot of drama may as well leave now. Calvi indulges in the big operatic sound of my other quirky faves, Mary and the Boy, and doesn't seem to give a crap about recent leanings towards minimalist synth-driven soundscapes.

Here's lead single 'Jezebel': our lead-in to her brand of flamenco crossed with fiery blues, all driven by strong guitar and a sense of fearlessness. Come join the party if you like your PJ Harvey and Diamanda Galas. And even if you don't, have a listen anyway - considering this is a live shot, there's a lot to be said for Calvi's talent and skill. 

With props from The Guardian, Dazed & Confused, BBC Sound of 2011 and The Line of Best Fit under her belt, I'm already looking forward to hearing her LP in full. The self-titled album drops on January 17th 2011, via Domino Records.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...