Wednesday, 11 May 2011

Great Escape Preview: Friendly Fires


I don't even know how to explain how good this new Friendly Fires has been to me over the last week. It's walked me to the bus stop like a true sweetheart, helped me get through deadlines and even got me busting out my best 90s moves from those primary school birthday parties. Maybe that last one isn't such a blessing to anyone else who sees it, but when these boys hit the Dome stage I can assume shit is going to get wild.


This St Albans three-piece are responsible for songs that sit somewhere between dance punk, electro pop and top 40 material r'n'b. Ed MacFarlane's vocal is crucial to them steering clear of sounding cheesy or overly polished, and works really well with the ridiculous instrumentation they whip out.


Whether funk-inspired basslines or a thundering bass come to the fore of the track, most of their stuff will just make you want to shake what your mama gave you. I can't believe I just wrote that; in any case, it's true.


Playing:
Brighton Dome /// Friday /// 19:00
You've got to have a special +Dome ticket to get into this, by the way. They were a £6 top-up on a three-day wristband and were still available for £21 on Wednesday afternoon.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...